A week of fun and new things.....

Well, it was back to school for the boys here in W.A. this week and so Monday I was at the school buying uniforms and Tuesday I was doing all the iron on naming and taking up pants and shirts etc. Mint green shirts are not the best idea for boys and already a couple of them have texta and paint marks on them.... SIGH!

They did look smarter than I thought they would in them though and they had a good few days settling into school. Ethan and Mitchell are together in class and have a male teacher and Keelan on his own with two female teachers, one does a 9 day fortnight and the other a 1 day. They have made some friends in class already and seem to be very happy at this stage. No homework for the week was pretty good too.

Last Sunday arvo we went up to Trigg beach for a get-together with the Perth Orientation Services group who help people settle into the state. I met some faces that I had met before and a couple of new ones so that was nice. The boys spent most of the time at the beach though whilst I was up on the grassed area so I was quite happy to put up with the conversation and not have to put up with the sand. I did venture down just as the sun was going down to see what they were up to and had to take the pic of the sandcastle they had been very busy building. Pic is not that great cos it was taken on my mobile. Yes..... I forgot the camera!
The start of the month brought with it new challenges over at Home and Scrapped. With a new design team on board, Heather handed over some of the reins to them to provide us with some challenges for the month.
Jewels gave us a challenge to use inks as out media to create our background and challenge ourselves with something that we may not have tried before.

I was blog hopping and came across a layout by Gayle Price - http://blissandgesso.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/new-may-challenge-at-ww1.html which really appealed to me so I lifted it - hope that is okay Gayle..... I used a crafter's workshop template with texture paste first of all and then once that was dry, laid down the mask and sprayed with Denim and Sapphire Glimmermist. I used white paint on the edge of business card to create a matte for the photo, a little stamping with a couple of stamps I have owned for years and not yet used as well a couple of more recent purchases and it was complete. A scrap of paper.... and I literally mean a scrap..... some cut out vintage Collections butterflies and my photo and the layout was finally finished. It seemed to take hours and hours as I am not used of the whole mixed media idea and waiting for things to dry is not my area of patience. I did love the final result though.

I also played with Sarah's challenge to choose a layout to "lift" from all those that you earmark in magazines and create a layout using a song title about summer or sun and include an item that has been given to you or you have bought that is handmade. I lifted a CK 15 min layout from Jan 2010 by Stephanie Howell but adapted her two portrait photos to suit my one landscape one.

Just a little more playing too to create some cards with the Cricut alone to show the shop owner. Off to discuss classes with her this week so wish me luck......
Everyday paper dolls and George and basic shapes cartridge on this one and below is made entirely with Storybook cartridge. Of course you could dress both of them up a lot more but I wanted to keep them very simple to show that you can still make a nice looking card with basic cuts.

Well..... my lamb roast is in the Weber and smelling pretty darn good so I am off to check the vegies and carve and eat...
Happy Craftin'......

Comments

Penny said…
Hi Melissa! Looks like you've been having fun with the H&S challenges. The boys look so cute in their mint green - glad to hear they had a good first week.

Popular posts from this blog

Gosh Christmas is creeping up fast

My Christmas cards with North Pole papers.....

The last of the scraps.....